GANHRI 2023 Annual Conference
Celebrating 75 years of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and 30 years of the Paris Principles:
Reflecting where we are and where we go from here
Thursday 16 March 2023, 10:00 – 13:00 & 15:00 – 18:00 I Geneva, Palais des Nations
The Annual Conference will be participative and interactive. It will encourage all participants to engage in an exchange of experiences, discussions, and reflections. The Annual Conference will have an opening session, followed by sessions led by different speakers and interactive group discussions.
An Outcome Statement will be adopted by participating GANHRI members.
|10:00 – 10:30
||High level opening: welcome and opening remarks
- Amina Bouayach, GANHRI Secretary (Morocco)
- Nada Al-Nashif, Deputy High Commissioner for Human Rights
- Václav Bálek, President of the Human Rights Council
- Achim Steiner, UNDP Administrator (video message)
|10:30 – 11:45
||Session 1 – Human Rights in 2023: key trends and threats Moderated by Catherine Fiankan-Bokonga
- Mikiko Otani, Chairperson, Committee on the Rights of the Child
- Clément Voulé, UN Special Rapporteur on Freedom of peaceful assembly and of association
- Mona M-Bikay, UPR Info
- Adrien Claude Zoller, Geneva for Human Rights
- Therese Bjork, UN Human Rights Office
- Michel Forst, Special Rapporteur on Environmental Defenders under the Aarhus Convention
- Reflecting on the current state of human rights
- Identifying key human rights challenges in today’s world
- Reflecting on the significance of the UDHR, the role of NHRIs and partnerships
||Screening of a video with historic testimonies, reflecting on the value of the Paris Principles and the contributions of NHRIs and their networks
|11:45 – 13:00
||Session 2 – NHRIs and the Paris Principles in today’s context Moderated by Catherine Fiankan-Bokonga
- Rosalind Croucher, NHRI Australia
- Joseph Whittal, NHRI Ghana
- Blanca Izaguirre Lozano, NHRI Honduras
- Maty Elhadji Moussa, NHRI Niger
- Alyson Kilpatrick, NHRI Northern Ireland
- Eliana Revollar Añaños, NHRI Peru
- Pornprapai Ganjanarintr, NHRI Thailand
- Dmytro Lubinets, NHRI Ukraine
- Discuss the current human rights trends and challenges
- Discussing response strategies of NHRIs to key challenges, and NHRI’s challenges and needs
- Reflecting on the significance of the UDHR and the Paris Principles, the role of NHRIs, and partnerships
|15:00 – 16:30
||Session 3 – Moderated group discussions with lead questions
- What are your most significant achievements as NHRI in helping ensure the UDHR is a lived reality for everyone?
- How have your mandate, functions and protection under the Paris Principles contributed to these achievements?
- What are the human rights challenges in your country, and how are you as NHRI working to address them? What challenges do you face?
- How do you build institutional strength and growth in line with the Paris Principles? Where are you progressing, what is challenging?
- Being part of the Global Alliance, what do you value and how do you see your role being a member?
|16:30 – 17:00
||Session 4 – Report back from group sessions & discussion Moderated by Amina Bouayach, Secretary
|17:00 – 17:30
||Session 5 – Collaboration and Partnerships Moderated by Amina Bouayach, Secretary
- Alice Shackelford, Resident Coordinator Honduras (video)
- Hassan Shire, DefendDefenders (video)
- Christian Salazar Volkmann, UN Human Rights Office
- Sarah Rattray, UNDP
|17:30 – 18:00
||Session 6 – Adoption of Outcome Statement & Closing
- Regional Chairpersons
- Amina Bouayach, Secretary
Simultaneous interpretation will be available in Arabic, English, French and Spanish
2023-03-16 GHR GTP TSS_P GANHRI Annual Conference 2023 Draft Agenda -ACZ on HR in 2023