24 April 2020
Last 24 March 2020, in view of the spread of Covid-19, Geneva for Human Rights (GHR) addressed the human rights movement a message of solidarity, commitment and hope. We received many feed-backs and reports on the worsening human rights situation in all the regions. Unfortunately, as expected, vulnerable persons, groups and communities pay everywhere the highest price, and the worst is to be feared with the pandemic affecting gradually all the countries in the South.
With the pandemic, all UN human rights meetings have been cancelled. After the suspension of the 43rd session of the Human Rights Council (13 March), the Bureau of the Council held three on-line sessions and convened the first ever virtual informal conversation of the Council with High Commissioner Michelle Bachelet (9 April). During its virtual meeting of 15 April, the Bureau decided to organize next week a virtual informal conversation with some Special Procedures mandate holders. It also requested the Chair of the Council, Her Excellency Ms. Elisabeth Tichy-Fisslberger, to prepare a draft President’s Statement (PRST) for the Council to be adopted by silent procedure.
In this process, it is essential that NGOs continue to fully participate in the Council’s work. This is why GHR prepared a letter to Ambassador Tichy-Fisslberger to submit concrete proposals to be included in the draft President’s Statement.
Our letter is now circulating for endorsement. You will find it enclosed. We hope to have as many signatures as possible to support such a non-governmental contribution to the draft President’s Statement.
How can you endorse the statement ?
- Send us a mail at email@example.com with copy to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Confirm your endorsement by adding your name, your email and your organisation and indicate whether the organisation/institution you represent has ECOSOC-status.
Public and Open endorsement :
- Access the Google-Sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DzFdUCo-Edpz9lpKVeL8JuD5WlP_Km9neOeHAFtOwwE/edit?usp=sharing
- Confirm your endorsement by adding your name, your email and a ‘X’ on the line mentioning your organisation to indicate whether the organisation/institution you represent has ECOSOC-status.
- When done, send us a mail at email@example.com with the email address provided in the sheet for ultimate validation.
- In case your organisation is not mentioned on the list, add it at the end of the list.
- Do not forget to save your action.
Private and Confidential endorsement:
- use our encrypted and secure ‘ProtonMail’ address : firstname.lastname@example.org
- confirm your endorsement by sending us your name, name of organisation (w/ or w/o ECOSOC-status).
Looking forward, with our best wishes,