The present edition of our Newsletter is again devoted to this pandemic. It presents the action of UN High Commissioner Bachelet, a compilation of statements made by Special Procedures, EMRIP and treaty bodies, and an innovative proposal of our treaty bodies expert Penny Parker for States to report to the Committees on their management of the crisis.
Unfortunately, as expected, vulnerable persons, groups and communities in the industrialized world pay the highest price, and the worst is to be feared with the pandemic affecting gradually all the countries in the South.
Obviously, It is too early a stage to draw conclusions. But some lessons can already be learned from these painful months.
Firstly, as long as inequalities and extreme poverty are not seriously tackled at national and international levels, a repetition of such human disaster seems to be unavoidable.
Secondly, our Governments did not listen to dozens of scientists and experts. Shouldn’t we listen now to experts on climate change ?
Thirdly, reliable information is critical. It is not ‘official’ information (the Chinese Government did not tell all the truth). It depends on good governance, transparency, full access to all the sources, and monitoring by the civil society.
Fourthly, the functioning of our societies has to be reviewed. We cannot simply start again with business-as-usual.. ‘Human rights’ is not a matter of GNP or stock exchange: our economic and financial systems will have to change.
- Use of spyware to surveil journalists and human rights defenders
- Expert Seminar co-sponsored by Permanent Missions of Finland, Mexico and Norway – ‘Indigenous Peoples & Self-Determination’ 11.00-14.00 CEST on 2021-07-15
- 2021-06-18 UN GA Resolution on Myanmar – “We cannot live in a world where military coups become a norm,” UN SG.
- Hybrid Course ‘Advocacy at UN 47th Human Rights Council’- 14,15,16 June 2021
- 2021 GHR Internships – 2nd semester
- 2021-05-21 Enforced Disappearances CED-21 Info note for Victims-Civil Society-NHRIs
- 2021-05-09 West Papua – Arrest of Mr. Victor YEIMO, International Spokesman of the West Papua National Committee ( KNPB ).
- 2021-03 West Papua – Reprisals & Intimidation towards GHR Member Mr. W. FATUBUN
- 2021-03-18 Geneva Academy -Lessons learned from the Commission for the HR-Council status review
- 2021-09 GSC 50 – 50th Geneva Course